A hotel is defined as an accommodation unit which must meet certain criteria. There are several types of accommodation units that are available for short-term stays, but a hotel is recognized by the star clasiffication system. Businessmen who want to open a company in Spain registered as a hotel should know that the unit can be classified under a 5 star system, in which 1 star is attributed to the units providing minimum accommodation facilitie, while the 5 star ranking is available only for units which offer high- class services. Our team of company formation representatives in Spain can offer in-depth assistance on the requirements that are to be completed in this case, including on the numerous business permits that have to be obtained for this business activity.
Table of Contents
5 stars classification system in Spain
Spain follows the 5 star classification system that is applicable at the level of the European Union (EU). However, under the EU regulations, each member state has the right of implemeting specific national laws related to the classification system.
Foreign businessmen who want to start the procedure of company formation in Spain for this type of accommodation unit must know that the 5 star classification system refers to the following minimum criteria:
- 1 star – a single room must have a surface of 7 square meters ( and 14 square meters for a double room), a bathroom or shower, heating system, lift;
- 2 stars – the same requirements listed for the 1 star hotel, as well as a telephone in the room and a safety deposit box;
- 3 stars – a single room should have 8 square meters (the double room, 15 square meters), a bathroom with both bath and shower, air conditioning systems situated in the common areas of the hotel, heating system, telephone, lift, safety deposit box and a bar;
- 4 stars – surface of 9 square meters for a single room (and 16 for a double room) and the same utilities as the 3 stars hotel, with the difference that the room should provide an air conditioning system;
- 5 stars – the surface of a single room is of minimum 10 square meters (for the double room, 17 square meters) and the other facilities mentioned for a 4 star hotel.
The above mentioned criteria may be different to a certain extent from a region to another and our team of company registration agents in Spain may provide investors with further information.
Why open a hotel in Spain?
The procedure of company registration in Spain is the same as the one available for other types of companies. However, there are also numerous other aspects that are different. For example, the company should apply for building permits, water and sewage permits, catering permits and others.
Spain is one of the most important countries in terms of tourism, and this year represents the fifth consecutive year of economic growth for this industry. Also, there are numerous investments carried out in the accommodation industry which, at the level of July 2016, had a total value of EUR 996 million.
Businessmen can find out further information on the requirements for hotel businesses from our team of company formation experts in Spain. Please contact our consultants for tax regulations available for this type of business and other incorporation requirements.